At the highest level, creating a digital transformation strategy simply involves optimising each aspect of your business, from three equally weighted perspectives:
- Business: The traditional business disciplines of sales, marketing, finance, operations, supply chain etc.
- Digital: The software, hardware and IT specialists that will help power your business activities.
- People: The customers, suppliers & staff that interact with your business.
However, there are many other core considerations and nuances that need to be taken into account – only some of which can be reasonably predicted:
- Customer Evolution: Computers don’t buy products or services from your business, people do. But they way people shop and the level of service they expect to receive while doing so is constantly increasing.
- Technology Evolution: Moore’s law said the number of transistors on a computer chip would double every two years. Today, Moore’s law is better associated with AI and machine learning, and the impact these will have on the operation of your business and your interactions with customers.
- Operational Evolution: How will the in way your business physically operates change in the coming years? For example, as a result of Covid-19, an 30%-40% of employee are expected to continue working from home permanently – drastically reducing the need for office space and associated overheads.
- Market Evolution: Are the products or services you company offers today, going to be the products or services the market wants tomorrow? For example, not long ago a taxi company serviced a city sized area with cars and drivers. Today, this is done on a worldwide scale from a single mobile app.
All of these factors need to be taken into account and weighted against what is right for your business. Some of these evolutionary factors can be estimated from historical and empirical data, while others require use of a crystal ball.
Getting your strategy right will ensure your company’s success and prosperity in the digital age.
The digital transformation team at Atliis 360™ will help guide you through creating a digital transformation strategy that meets your short term needs while remaining flexible to the ongoing customer, technology, operational and market evolutions.